CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

What do you think, folks?

For today's post, I'm trying something new that will hopefully generate a bit of dialogue among you readers. If you're anything like me, you probably have a hard time narrowing down your music to a single favorite artist, or, harder still, a single favorite song. So this week, I'd like people to comment on which artist or song they are really digging right now and then maybe write a sentence or two about why the music is affecting them the way it is. I'd like to see what happens.

Let me be first... I'm currently listening to a lot of a guy some of you may know. His name is Ray LaMontagne and I first came across one of his songs on The Last Kiss soundtrack. I immediately thought his raspy, breathy vocals were super-expressive. I also liked his simple arrangements. Anyway, I now have two of his three albums and I think he's great. He can take an ordinary vocal line and inject it full of emotion in a way that leads you to feel that there's a big backstory to the song. I've included his song "Gone Away From Me" on my playlist for your listening pleasure. It's just one example of why I think Ray LaMontagne's stuff is so cool.

Well, that's it for now, and don't forget to let us all know what you're listening to these days. Take care.



4 comments:

Lindsey said...

I like this idea of talking about current favorite songs, cause you're right, it's near impossible to pick one favorite artist or song, but a favorite of the week is a bit easier. If you ask Rachel or any of my previous roommates, my currently favorite songs usually get worn out and drive everyone crazy... they've included Mamma Mia- A*Teens version, I Drove All Night- Celine Dion, and Total Eclipse of the Heart- Nikki French version. Random, I know.
For this post you may have been hoping for more sentimental or musically touching song choices to discuss, but this week my favorite song just so happens to be Just Dance by Lady Gaga. Definitely not the best message, but everytime I hear it I can't help but bounce around in my seat and sing along, no matter how tired I am, it's so catchy!

Laura said...

I also tend to be the one who picks one song and overplays it... I never get sick of it, but i think everyone around me does. My most played song on my iTunes is a new kids on the block song, mind you its one of their new ones, but it is usually played some point throughout my day. as well as to be with you by david archuleta.

that is all. haha

Laura said...

oh. and i'd like to take credit for introducing you to the last kiss soundtrack! yay!

Megan said...

I got excited when I read your post and it was about our current favorite-- Linz had told me to post to your site about my current favorite. I discovered it a couple days again when someone posted this music video on FaceBook. It is Jon Schmidt's latest, and combines two of my favorite songs: Taylor Swift's Love Story and Coldplay's Viva La Vida. Sound like a strange combo? Yeah, it did at first, but I love it-- check it out at jonschmidt.com!

So, for the record this song and Jon Schmidt's Pachelbel meets U2 song are my favorites. They are are continuous repeat on my ipod (count me in on the "overplay club").

In addition to to loving these songs, they actually reminded me about your (Rob's) style of music and thought it might be something you find interesting.