CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, April 20, 2009

Taylor Swift Meets Coldplay

Hey, folks. I've been really pleased with your comments on my most recent post. Keep them coming! I've tried to check into each of the songs you've mentioned and I was blown away by one in particular; it's local pianist Jon Schmidt's arrangement of 'Love Song' by Taylor Swift meets 'Viva La Vida' by Coldplay. Now, I'm typically wary of this kind of thing because it can be a pretty easy thing to take a track by someone else, make a few changes, and cash your paycheck. But in some cases, an artist's cover version can add new life to a song in a way that perhaps even the original author hadn't anticipated. Such is the case with Jon Schmidt's mashup.

That's saying something, especially because of the fact that I don't like much country music (Taylor Swift) and I've heard a few too many renditions of 'Waterfall' (Jon Schmidt) from players who consider it the apex of contemporary LDS piano music. In other words, I was skeptical. But, as I often am, I was wrong and what I discovered instead was something that I'd now like to share. I love to hear from everyone, so as I said before keep the comments and suggestions coming. Thanks to Megan for this one, and enjoy the video!


2 comments:

Kristy said...

Rob, I can't tell you how happy this made me! I smiled all through it. And I KNOW Jon Schmidt isn't the apex of contemporary LDS piano music, but I sure do like him.

Hannah White said...

Now I am by no means and LDS artist fan. I am very selective in what I feel is a genre that offers little to enhance our musical world but I have to say I am really impressed by the way Jon combined these two songs. Wish more of his stuff was this good.